How to Add or Remove a Dependent from VA Compensation Benefits

VA Disability Compensation Benefit rates can increase when you add a child or dependent, or decrease when you remove a dependent. Learn how.
Advertising Disclosure.

Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our Advertising Policy.

The Military Wallet has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Military Wallet and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on The Military Wallet are from advertisers. Compensation may impact how and where card products appear, but does not affect our editors’ opinions or evaluations. The Military Wallet does not include all card companies or all available card offers.

Add a Dependent to VA Disability Compensation ClaimHow to Add or Remove a Dependent from your VA Disability Compensation Claim

Military veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 10% or more are often eligible to receive VA disability compensation benefits.

Veterans may be eligible to receive a higher compensation rate if they are rated at 30% or higher and have one or more dependents, including a spouse, child, or parent, in their care. Veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 20% or lower are not generally eligible for additional payments, except in limited circumstances.

Add a Dependent to VA Disability Compensation Claim
How to Add or Remove a Dependent from your VA Disability Compensation Claim

The status of your dependents is recorded by the VA when they process your initial disability compensation claim. Still, they are not able to automatically make changes to your dependent’s status.

It is up to you to notify the VA when something changes that affects the eligibility of your dependents. This can include adding or removing one or more dependents from your VA disability compensation benefits.

Some reasons for these changes in dependents’ status include:

  • a birth
  • adoption
  • death
  • marriage or divorce
  • A child no longer being eligible due to age restrictions, marriage, or other restrictions
  • adding a parent to your claim
  • etc.

When these changes occur, you need to contact the VA with this information so they can update your file.

Remember, this may either increase or decrease your compensation rate, and in some cases, the benefits will be back-dated to the effective date. This can result in an overpayment in which the recipient has received more money than they were eligible for, or they could receive a higher one-time payment to make up for the shortfall.

The sooner you notify the VA, the better. It’s also important to note that when adding a child due to a birth or adoption, you must wait until you have their Social Security Number before filing your claim. So you may need to wait a couple of months from the time of birth before you can add your new dependent.

Change Declaration of Status of Dependents for VA Compensation Benefits

There are two ways to change the status of your dependents:

  1. Paper via VA Form: VA Form 21-686c, Declaration of Status of Dependents, or VA Form 21-674, Request for Approval of School Attendance for dependents over age 18 and attending school, or VA Form 21-509 – Statement of Dependency of Parent(s), and
  2. Electronically via eBenefits.

1. Paper Forms:

VA Form 21-686c, Declaration of Status of Dependents.

VA Form 21-686c is a two page paper form, which according to the VA, should take approximately 15 minutes to fill out. The form is fairly straight forward, and requests the standard information, such as the veteran’s personal information and VA File number, marriage status, information regarding your unmarried children, including their name, SSN, age, schooling status, etc. Then you simply need to sign the form and mail it in to the VA center which handles your claim. You can download this form here: VA Form 21-686c (pdf).

VA Form 21-674, Request for Approval of School Attendance.

This form is used when your dependent child(ren) are over age 18, and are attending school. Child dependents are ineligible to be claimed past age 18 unless they are attending a qualified school, or they have special needs. You can download this form here: VA Form 21-674 (pdf).

VA Form 21-509, Statement of Dependency of Parent(s).

Use this form if you are a veteran with a service connected disability rating of 30% or higher and you support your parents. Eligible relations include a natural father or mother, a father or mother through adoption, and a foster father or mother (including stepparents who stood in the relationship of parent to the veteran). There are financial restrictions for parents to be eligible. You can download this form here: VA Form 21-509 (pdf).

2. eBenefits Website.

The VA is making an effort to move more features and services online, which is faster and less costly in the long run. This is where the website comes in to play. Veterans can now use eBenefits to apply for VA compensation, pension, education, vocational rehabilitation and employment, burial benefits, and more. Veterans can also use this online tool to update the status of their dependents, file claims for increases in service-connected disabilities, add disabilities, and more.

Questions about submitting online forms:

Should I file a paper form and via eBenefits?

  • No – choose one or the other. The electronic form may be processed more quickly, provided all the information is complete. Otherwise, there is no difference between the forms, and submitting multiple claims can delay the process.

How do I sign it?

  • Some forms require veterans to certify the information they entered is accurate – this serves as your signature. VA Form 21-686c is included in this list of forms which can be “electronically” signed.

How do I follow up with my claim?

  • The VA automatically sends an e-mail when they receive your claim, and another when your claim is downloaded and the claim is being processed. The information includes your name, date of submission, and which regional VA office received your form (including their contact information). You should contact the regional VA center which is processing your claim for more information or updates on the status of your claim.

More Information:

I can’t stress enough how important it is to file these changes as soon as they occur. The last thing you want to happen is to receive an overpayment to your VA compensation benefits for several months, only to have the money deducted from future payments.

About Post Author

Get Instant Access
FREE Weekly Updates! Enter your information to join our mailing list.

Posted In:

Reader Interactions


    Leave A Comment:


    About the comments on this site:

    These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. John says

    it’s been a month and a half since adding spouse and 2 children as dependent and I haven’t even got an initial review. why so long? I was told this was a couple week process at most.

    • Ryan Guina says

      John, unfortunately, there is no “typical timeline” with the VA. I’ve seen adding dependents happen in as little as a couple of weeks, and I’ve seen it take almost a year. The good news is that the VA will typically back-date your compensation to the date you requested the dependents be added to your claim. Best wishes!

Load More Comments

The Military Wallet is a property of Three Creeks Media. Neither The Military Wallet nor Three Creeks Media are associated with or endorsed by the U.S. Departments of Defense or Veterans Affairs. The content on The Military Wallet is produced by Three Creeks Media, its partners, affiliates and contractors, any opinions or statements on The Military Wallet should not be attributed to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, the Dept. of Defense or any governmental entity. If you have questions about Veteran programs offered through or by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, please visit their website at The content offered on The Military Wallet is for general informational purposes only and may not be relevant to any consumer’s specific situation, this content should not be construed as legal or financial advice. If you have questions of a specific nature consider consulting a financial professional, accountant or attorney to discuss. References to third-party products, rates and offers may change without notice.

Advertising Notice: The Military Wallet and Three Creeks Media, its parent and affiliate companies, may receive compensation through advertising placements on The Military Wallet; For any rankings or lists on this site, The Military Wallet may receive compensation from the companies being ranked and this compensation may affect how, where and in what order products and companies appear in the rankings and lists. If a ranking or list has a company noted to be a “partner” the indicated company is a corporate affiliate of The Military Wallet. No tables, rankings or lists are fully comprehensive and do not include all companies or available products.

Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on The Military Wallet may include opinions. Any opinions are those of the author alone, and not those of an advertiser to the site nor of  The Military Wallet.